monday, Dover and home :(

Woke up this morning with the wind blowing outside of the window. Now that is not a nice thing to wake up to if you are as prone to seasickness as I am. So I had to gulp and get past it and hope for the best.

It was not difficult to leave the cottage by the ten o'clock deadline. We had
not spend much time there so there wasn't much to clean up. Most difficult was cramming everything in the car, but we are creative! Before heading off to Dover there was a stop at Tesco's. Mel needed to get some things that they don't have in Belgium. I didn't really stock up as there was no room. Next time!

At Dover castle I joined english heritage. The membership is valid for a whole year and I do plan on some short trips to England next year. The entrance to this castle already covers a quarter of the fee. Those things are getting soooo expensive.

The wind was really picking up now nearly blowing us away! We were booked on a tour of the secret wartime tunnels first. These tunnels were kept secret until 1984 and were still used during the cold war! It is an impressive place to visit. All the stuff is still there, hospital, control rooms etc. Imagine having to work there for years under the ground in very poor conditions. You really have to admire those people.

Going back to the castle was uphill in the wind and no fun. We split up for a while now. And I first visited the saxon church and the roman lighthouse. Still standing there in the wind after all these centuries.

Dover is important to me. Because in legend this was the burial place of my favorite Arthurian knight Gawain. I threw an absolute fit on my first vis
it in 1985 when I could find no evidence of this and nobody at the castle even knew what I was talking about. That was such a dissapointment. Yet I have never stopped loving this castle. It is one of the first things you see when you approach england and it stands as a silent, solid guardian.

They ad
ded a new bit since my last visit. And audio/visual show depicting the siege of Dover in the 13th century by the french prince Louis and de defence by Hubert DeBurgh. Very well done and enjoyable.

Afterwards there was of course another visit to a giftshop and an english tea before we had to be off an catch the boat.

Fortunately the wind was less on the boat then on land. I lay d
own for an hour but that was not even necessarry, I could sit up and even eat something. Great relief!

Back on land we started dropping everyone off at homes. I was the third to be dropped and was home around eleven. Very tired but very satisfied about the trip.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sixth holiday blog

Flow!

Dutch drivers