and justice for all

Still hanging in there. I feel a cold coming on as well now, so a little bit scared for next week. Colds mean paracetamol for me to keep at least some energy and of course I can't. But today is day 5 and it is still not as bad as I thought it would be. If it stays like this I am a very happy puppy.

Yesterday I saw the verdict in the O.J. Simpson case on tv. It made me think about justice again. Now I am no fan of the jury system at all. That man should have been convicted 13 years ago, no doubt about it. To 99,9% of the world population it was clear that he was guilty. The only ones that seemed to doubt it were t
he members of the jury. But.... to this was a different crime and to give someone 33 years for a robbery in which nobody was injured or killed. Well that is plain wrong as well. Yes he deserves punishment and he is finally getting it. Is this justice however? Somehow it doesn't sit right with me.

I am doing some light reading. Not much as I find my mind jumping from one topic to the next and finding it hard to concentrate. Last week
I started two new books.

The first is 1632 by Eric Flint. Now I am really hoping that I don't like this book, as it is part 1 of a loooooooong series. So far no luck. I am a series person, and if I like the main characters and the storyline I am usually hooked. The premise of this book is different. A small mining village from West Virginia is somehow transported through time and lands smack in the middle of 1632 Germany. Those were turbulant times in Europe but not a time period that I know terrible much about so this is a change
to learn more. It seems to be well researched and features important historical characters from those days like Gustavus Adolphus. Now there is a name I came across learning about military history and I like learning more about this swedish king.

The second book I started is much lighter reading, falling into the romance genre. But this one got on my nerves from the start. Oh the story is nice enough and so are the characters that is not what is wrong with the book. If it had been set in regen
cy england it would have worked perfectly. But it is set in 1071, five years after the norman invasion of 1066. The main characters move from norman stronghold to normal stronghold. Ehm, excuse me, those castled took more then five years to build and the saxons certainly didn't have them. and then the names, the christian names used are much too modern. Even from books like these I like to learn something about history and some of the romance writers are really good in their research. For me this destracts terribly from enjoying this book as much as I otherwise might have. Still a good read though. :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sixth holiday blog

Flow!

Dutch drivers