Staying on the technical highway


I have gone and done it. Untill recently I said I never would, but panic can change your mind pretty quick.I was looking at the ever bigger pile of books that I wanted to take with me to Lithuania, then looked at my suitcase that may only hold 20 kilo and was ready to scream. Thus behold my new baby, I am now the proud owner of a Sony Touch 600 ereader. Earlier this year Jaco lend me his kindle so I could read the new David Weber book. I liked the screen very much but I did not like the buttons to turn the pages at all. Nor do I like that the kindle only uses the mobi format. Which means you cannot read Dutch books, who use the the epub format. Quick research told me that many other big english language book firms use epub as well, so getting English books would not be a problem. After many reviews I decided on the Sony as I can use both the buttons and the touch screen. It does not have WiFi, but before a holiday I can cram it so full that I don't need WiFi. it's features are not as slick as the kindle's but again I am going to use it to read and that being easy is the most important feature for me. What I love is that it also reads PDF and even word documents. So I can put my own documents on it. I am also a large lover of fanfic, which you can get for free online. So for example mine now has 300 pages worth of Vorkosigan fanfic for the holiday, yum!

It still makes me a bit angry that most e-books are so expensive. Just as expensive as books, this is not right. Because the costs of printing, getting it shipped to bookstores etc has been eliminated. So I think they should be cheaper. But there are still deals to be found and many of the classics are free!

To me it is still a big adventure and I will kee you posted on how much I like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sixth holiday blog

Flow!

Dutch drivers