Information

I talked to my pharmacist this afternoon and she gave me the information that my neurologist should have given me on monday. These are the key points:
  • Topamax does work for tension headaches. Recent studies have shown that. Now that motivates me to try it a hell of a lot more then the one migraine I get a month.
  • If I don't have the side effects yet there is a good chance I won't get them.
  • The very heavy cases of side effects have to do with people who take them for epileptic fits, they end up with at least twice the dosage that someone with headaches has to take.
  • Driving. Not in the first few weeks, after that take someone with you to assess your driving and if they and you don't think it has changed you are safe to drive.
  • most of the side effects you might get go away after a few weeks when your body is used to the drug.
Now this all makes it sound a lot better. An it motivates me to try it after all. Especially the little tidbit that it works on tension headaches. I can't believe the neurologist didn't tell me that. I specifically asked him about it. When are these people going to follow a course, how to deal effectively with patients!!!!!

Feeling much better now, even with the visit to the dental hygienist still to come today. :) I am proud of myself how I handled this situation. Taps self on the shoulder.

Comments

Charity said…
YAY, that sounds good!
I am even wondering if it's something that could work for me..'cause paracetamol sure doesn't!
I hope it does the trick for you :-)
I must admit, if i had to worry about the side effects of my medicines I'd not be on anything anymore.
It all sounds much worse then it often is, thank god! :-\
How did the hygienist apointment go?
I'm glad you had a positive day :-)
*Hugs*
gawain said…
Even that went smoothly. LOL. So I had a good day, relaxing now. I feel so much better now, and more motivated to try the meds. Just pretty angry that doctors cant' tell you and you have to really search for a professional who will tell you.
Mariette ENG said…
Read your story and want to give you a tip on your shoulders as well. You are doing well! What makes me angry is that the 'professional' doctors and other helping people often treat people like robots! Their emotions or empathy is so blocked out that they cannot act human anymore! Luckily also some of them can actually show empathy and take time for you.
gawain said…
Yeah, it is as if I had to go through this to know that I have to do it different in my practice. And I will know what people will be going through when dealing with doctors. It took a pharmacist, to take the time to explain it all to me.
Charity said…
Doctors are so overworked..they often imo don't even remember what they've said or not :-\
Good that you went and got good advice, and now you can safely go ahead and get better ;-)
I'm glad your day went so positive, now it's easier to relax too I'm sure :-)
gawain said…
absolutely. And focus on the future. I must admit that I was a bit down this week and it has done wonders for my mood.

Popular posts from this blog

Sixth holiday blog

Flow!