USA vacation Harper's Ferry

This is going to be a short entry. That Wednesday happened to be the only day during the holiday that I did not feel my best. And I count my blessings that it was only one day. It does mean that I don't do evenings anymore. After coming home and eating something I head straight to bed to rest up for the next day. And after coming home from holiday I need time to recuperate as well. Yet seeing fun things on holiday is extremely good for my mental health.

Today we had Harper's Ferry on the program. A good choice as it was really round the corner from where we were and I am not the world's biggest fan of the place. I had been there before in 1994 and had actually skipped it on another trip when I happened to have a really bad day. Today my headache was not so bad that I had to skip as long as we took it easy.

I can't even explain why I don't like Harper's ferry. The buildings are pretty and the nature surrounding it is stunning. And there is certainly plenty of history.

It makes me feel like a tourist trap somehow. There are a few historic buildings and the rest are restaurants and shops. Maybe that is it. While some of the towns surrounding battlefields are very touristy as well it is separate. Here the two come together. It did not help that a lot of the small museums were currently being refurbished. I know that has to happen but if it is nearly 50% of them it does not make me happy. And when the bookshop happens to be closed as well it even makes me very grumpy.

We did not stay too long. We walked over the railroad bridge to admire the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers coming together. And did the few museum buildings that were open.

All in all a good day that gave me the rest that I needed after the very full first day at Gettysburg.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sixth holiday blog

Flow!

Hurrai for me!