Glastonbury thorn

These days I pay more attention to my professional blog. Study and clients don't leave me much time for personal blogging. But there are occasions that I feel I have to write something.

Last week someone destroyed the Glastonbury thorn on Wearyall Hill. Glastonbury is my all time favorite place
in the world. I come there as often as I can as it has a very special admosphere. Glastonbury is one of those few places in the world that is important to more than one religion. It is important to christians and to pagans.

To christians it was the site of the very first christian church above ground. When christians in Rome were still coming together in secret, here people could gather together in a church. Today the remains of the abbey built on the foundations of that church can still be seen.

But Glastonbury is also very important to pagans. The Tor hill is said to be one of the gateways to th
e ohterworld. And when you walk in town you can feel the energy in the town.

So who would want to do something like this? What do they gain? Why destroy something that means so much to very different people? I don't understand it. Thankfully there is another thorn in the abbey grounds and they can use a shoot from that to build up the one on wearyall hill again so Glastonbury does not lose one of it's many symbols.

Comments

Unknown said…
that's really heart breaking..

Popular posts from this blog

Sixth holiday blog

US holiday part 1 - travel or how heathrow surplanted schiphol as nightmare airport number 1

Riga & Latvia